5 Alarming Facts about Pollution You Need to Know
Are you being proactive to reduce your impact on the environment? Our modern lifestyle has led to serious pollution levels. It seems like these problems will continue getting worse unless we all start making changes.
Here are a few things that you need to know about pollution:
- Pollution is a Global Killer: Millions of people are impacted by pollution, resulting in one of the biggest causes of death worldwide. Deaths caused by the effects of pollution are comparable to diseases such as tuberculosis, AIDS and malaria combined.
- Ocean Pollution: A study was done in 1975 that estimated 14 billion pounds of garbage was dumped in the ocean. Cargo ships and cruise liners have reduced the garbage dumped in recent years, but oceanic pollution is still a serious concern. Sea turtles mistake discarded plastic for food, causing blockages in their digestive system. Ocean pollution impacts many marine animals.
- Increased Risk of Lung Cancer: When people live in areas with high levels of air pollutants, they have a 20% higher risk of death due to lung cancer. Breathing in pollution particles leads to long-term health consequences that can’t be reversed.
- World Resources Used in the US: Even though the US only makes up 5% of the population in the world, we are leading the trends for the use of resources. Americans use approximately 26% of the oil, 25% of the coal, and 27% of the natural gas resources in the world.
- Effects of Composting and Recycling: In 2010, composting and recycling prevented 85 million tons of garbage from being dumped in the landfills. This number continues to rise every year.
If you want to read other shocking statistics about worldwide pollution, visit this link to see where the information was gathered.
What are you doing to minimize your contribution to pollution levels? Now is a time when we need to be proactive to protect our planet for the future generations. Every little bit helps. Installing a solar power system is a great place to start. It would help to decrease your dependence on fossil fuels, while generating renewable energy. If you had an electric vehicle, you could plug in your car and fuel it with electricity produced by the sun!
Call New Day Solar to learn about solar power options in Temecula and the surrounding areas. Our solar systems can help to decrease your carbon footprint and lower your electricity costs at the same time. Schedule a consultation to learn more at: (855) 444-6329 or visit us online at www.newdaysolar.com.