5 Energy-Wasting Habits at Home that Need to be Fixed
Do you have energy-wasting habits that may need to be fixed? You might be running up the utility bills without realizing the impact your habits have on the environment and your electric bill. Not only is excess energy a waste of money, but it also increases your carbon footprint.
Bringing awareness to your habits is the first step to change things and improve your lifestyle. Here are a few “energy vampires” that may be making your electric bill high:
- Phantom Loads: The term “phantom loads” refers to devices that consume electricity when plugged in, even when the device is turned off. Something as simple as a DVR system adds approximately $29 per year to your utility bill, even if the box is never used. An unused desktop computer, monitor, and speakers add $6.31 annually. These costs might seem small, but everything adds up from the many electronics in the home.
- Manual Thermostat Adjustments: A programmable home thermostat is a great way to reduce energy use. There’s no reason to keep your home at an occupied temperature when everyone is gone during the day. Set the thermostat so that you don’t have to think about manual adjustments.
- Partial Loads: How often do you run a partial load in the dishwasher or washing machine? Every hour these appliances run increases your energy usage. Instead of running a half-empty dishwasher, wait one more day before hitting the start button.
- Old Windows: Updating the windows is an essential step if you want to improve energy efficiency. Old windows bring in the drafty air that runs up your utility bills. Over time, your investment can be recovered with lower utility costs and higher property value.
- Water Heater Thermostat: Many households keep the water heater temperature higher than necessary, causing an increase in energy usage. Lower the temperature to 120 degrees Fahrenheit. You could save as much as 25 percent on the cost to run the water heater.
Are you looking for solutions to improve your energy usage? In addition to these daily habit changes, also consider the benefits of installing a solar power system. You can use the appliances and lights in your home without worrying about the cost of electricity.
If you have a solar system installed that will take care of your current electricity usage, you will not have to worry about the electricity rates increasing. You can own your solar and take control of your electric bills with 0 down. You are making that monthly payment for your electricity anyway, why not use that money to purchase a solar system and start saving money on your electric bills?
For more information, call New Day Solar for a no obligation quote at: (855) 444-6329 or for any questions about solar that you may have. You can also visit us at www.newdaysolar.com.
Schedule a consultation
Find out more with an honest, no pressure consultation with our team of solar experts.